Orange Upside Down Cake
This orange upside down cake is simple and delicious. I adore oranges, especially in desserts. They're fresh, vibrant, tart and sweet at the same time. I have used a few drops of orange blossom extract to really bring out that orangey flavour, but feel free to skip it. This recipe yields enough for one 9 inch cake.
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 50ml yogurt
- 90g butter
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom extract
- 2 eggs
- 120g granulated sugar
- 120g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees and line a 9-inch tin with butter.
- Evenly spread the demerara sugar at the bottom of the tin.
- Melt the butter and add the yogurt. Leave aside to cool.
- Arrange the orange slices on top of the sugar in the tin.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, orange extract, zest and juice until very light in colour.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Add the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool the cake completely before removing it from the tin.