I absolutely love this cake. It's almost too beautiful to eat. Almost. I made this cake last year, but completely forgot to post the recipe. It is beautifully moist, and let's face it, that red colour is to die for! I personally love this cake with a big dollop of almond ice cream.
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 180 g flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 170 g powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease an 8-inch tin with butter.
- Evenly spread the demerara sugar at the bottom of the tin. Arrange the cherries on top of the sugar, round side up.
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well. Slowly add in the milk, whisking continuously.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients one-third at a time. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Transfer the batter into the tin.
- Bake at180 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool the cake completely before removing it from the tin.