Red velvet is one of those cakes you just can't go wrong with. The pictures are quite bad (that's because I couldn't wait to eat the cake).
This is a super soft and moist cake, so if you're horrible at slicing cakes(like me), bake the cake in 3 different 8" tins. I made 2/3 of the recipe and used 2 tins.
- 2 eggs
- 225 g cater sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 250ml sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 vanilla extract
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 vinegar
- 225 g flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 red food color
- Pre heat oven to 170 degrees.
- Put the eggs, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk. Add the oil in a steady stream while whisking. The mixture should thicken slightly.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl add the buttermilk, baking soda and vinegar. The mixture should bubble for a bit and then come back to normal.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder.
- Add a third of the flour to the oil mixture and mix well. Add half of the buttermilk. Alternate the two until everything is well combined.
- Add in the food color and stir.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes.
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 170 g cream cheese(room temperature)
- 120 g powdered sugar
- 57 g unsalted butter
- Whisk the cream cheese in a mixing bowl until it looks fluffy.
- Add in the butter and whisk well.
- Add the sugar in stages and whisk until combined.
- Refrigerate the frosting for 15-20 minutes.
- Apply on cooled cake.