It is summer season, which means it is ice cream season!
I had a few strawberries in my freezer that I whipped up into this delicious, creamy, refreshing strawberry ice cream.
For the strawberry compote:
- 250 g strawberries
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Core and half your strawberries.
- Add them in a saucepan with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir continuously and cook over medium heat.
- The syrup should have thickened and you should still be left with some strawberry chunks.
For the ice-cream:
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornflour + 1 tbsp milk
- 75 g sugar (add more if needed, my whipping cream is pre-sweetened)
- In a saucepan, add the milk and sugar and boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the milk has reduced to half, mix together the cornflour and 1 tbsp milk and add to the saucepan.
- Stir continuously, making sure there are no lumps.
- The mixture should thicken to the consistency of custard.
- Take it off the heat and leave aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whip you cream and add the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the cream, one spoon at a time, folding after each addition. It should have a very creamy consistency.
- Add the strawberry compote to this mixture and swirl around with a knife.
- Pour in an air-tight container and freeze over night.