Black Forest Cake
This cake is very close to my heart. I remember eating A LOT of this cake when I was little. The classic combination of chocolate, cream and cherries, you really can't go wrong with this!
- 95 g flour
- 5 g cocoa powder
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- cherries (candied/canned/fresh)
- chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites till you have soft peaks.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder into the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold together gently.
- Gradually fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into an 8 inch prepared cake tin.
- Bake at 160 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool for an hour.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice it from the centre.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1-2 tsp sugar with 3-4 tsp water. Soak both slices of cake in this sugar syrup to moisten the cake. (If you're using canned cherries, you can use the liquid for the can to moisten the cake.)
- Whip your cream with the icing sugar.
- Ice the bottom layer, and place quarters of cherries on the icing. You can use candied, canned or fresh. I personally prefer fresh cherries.
- Place the second layer on top and coat the outside of the cake with icing.
- Place a few fresh cherries on top and sprinkle some chocolate shavings.
- Cool in the fridge for 2-3 hours so the icing sets.