I love this dessert, not only because it tastes amazing, but this recipe works like magic. As the pudding cooks, the velvety, delicious sauce on top, slowly seeps into the cake, and settles at the bottom. This is perfect for dinner parties. You can prepare the batter ahead of time, sprinkle the brown sugar and cocoa on top and just put it in the fridge. Just before you have to serve it, pour the boiling water and pop it into the oven! This recipe makes enough for a 9 inch dish or about 10 people. I have made half the recipe.
For the fudge cake:
- flour 120 g
- sugar 120 g
- cocoa powder 2 tbsp
- butter (melted) 2 tbsp
- baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
- milk 1/2 cup
- walnuts (chopped) 1/2 cup
- vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
- salt 1/4 tsp
For the sauce:
- cocoa powder 1tbsp
- brown sugar 120 g
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together.
- Mix in the chopped walnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, butter, and milk.
- Add the vanilla and gradually add the flour mixture.
- Fold together gently.
- Spread the batter on a prepared dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and cocoa powder over the batter.
- Pour 2 teacups of boiling water on top.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for at least 20 minutes. When you see bubbles around the edges of the cake, its done.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.