Summer has officially started! To celebrate, I decided to make my favouritest cake..flour-less chocolate cake! There are a million reasons why I absolutely love this cake. It's gluten free. It's so easy and quick to whip up. And you only need four ingredients! But I'm going to warn you right now. Once you know how to make this cake, you'll want to make it everyday.
- 170 g of dark chocolate (chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 50 g of butter
- 100 g of granulated sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a bowl, add the dark chocolate and butter, and heat over double boiler until smooth. Leave aside to cool.
- Separate your eggs into whites and yolks.
- Add your granulated sugar to the yolks and whisk until pale and fluffy.
- When the chocolate has cooled, slowly add in the yolk and sugar mixture and fold gently until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites until stiff peaks.
- Add a third of the whites to the chocolate mixture and fold gently, making sure that you don't release the air in the mixture.
- Now, add in the remaining mixture and fold until no streaks of egg whites remain.
- Pour the mixture into a spring form pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let it cool completely before removing from pan.
- It is important to use a spring form pan only. The cake is very delicate and if turned over, it will collapse on itself.
- When folding the mixture, take your time, be patient. The eggs are what give the cake its structure, so you want to keep all that lovely air inside your mixture.
- If your cake cracks from the top, don'y worry! This cake is supposed to crack. I think it makes the cake look rustic and beautiful!
- As the cake cooks, it will sink from the center. Again, this is absolutely normal.
- I like the cake as it is, but you can always top it up with chocolate ganache, raspberry coulis, or just some berries.