I have always been a fan of biscotti. However, I have also always been quite terrified to make it. This recipe is extremely easy, and produces biscotti that the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee. It has a fresh hit of lemon that goes well with the crunchy bits of almonds and pistachios.
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 175 g flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g pistachios, chopped
- 25 g almonds, chopped
- In a bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest and rub with your hands until the sugar smells lemony.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the lemon juice, honey, eggs, olive oil and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Add the dry mixture and chopped nuts. Mix until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for an hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 145 degrees.
- Roll the dough into a 6 cm wide and 2 cm high log, and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the top feels hard to touch, and the inside isn't soft.
- Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 135 degrees.
- Cool the log for about 30 minutes before slicing it into 1 cm wide slices.
- Place the biscotti flat on the tray and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before transferring into an air tight container.